Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Progress (The kind we like!)

Sherry started the day at 4:00am by announcing to the nurse that, "I want a little lunch!"  I was dozing so I didn't notice that she had pushed the call button.  The nurse pointed out the early hour and asked Sherry if she could get her a snack.  I told the nurse that I had some snacks for Sherry.

I was ready with Sherry's favorites.  In addition to the satsumas chilling on the window sill, I had some Brown Cow Cream Top yoghurt, some Greek God Traditional yoghurt in the refrigerator, and some PG Tips tea in a drawer in Sherry's room.  I held the Brown Cow yogurt in front of Sherry so she could read the label.  She reached for it with her left hand and for the spoon with her right.  The yoghurt vanished with no assistance from me.  I peeled the Satsuma and divided it into sweet sections for her, but Sherry took the mug of tea for herself and held it in both hands while she sipped it.  Sherry delighted in the snacks, and I delighted in the improvement in coordination and fine motor skills that she was exhibiting.

Yesterday, the Oncology staff changed Sherry's mobility status that is posted outside her door from Level 2 to Level 3.  Level 3 designates patients who have the lowest level of mobility.  I knew she was progressively exceeding the criteria for Level 2.  Still, it was disappointing to see what I was observing confirmed on a stark magenta tag.

Today, at 8:30 am the day nurse came in to take Sherry's vitals and to administer morning medications.  A part of the protocol is to check Sherry's strength.  She asked Sherry to move her right foot, which she did.  The surprise came when Sherry moved her left foot.  Not only that, she exerted considerable strength both when pushing her left foot up and pushing it down.  Could she be moving back up to Level 2 in the near future?

Additionally, she seems more alert to me today though it is probably way to early in the day to assess that.   Nevertheless, her voice is a bit stronger, plus both large and small motor skills have improved, and she demonstrated more engagement with the world outside her room as she read the cards from yesterday's mail that I opened and handed to her.  Of course I am encouraged by these changes even though they cannot be given a reason.  I do know that, beginning today, the Keppra (anti-seizure medication) is increasing from 500mg twice a day to 750mg twice a day--a modest increase according to the neurologist.  Other than that treatment has remained constant since Sherry was admitted last Friday. 

Not knowing the cause has not diminished the celebration.  This is the direction for which we have been hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers