Search This Blog

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday, Sunday

The 6:00 am alarm for Sherry's medication found me groggy and Sherry sitting up in bed.  She woke early and her active mind kept her awake.  This difficulty sleeping and the racing mind seem to be a side effect of the steroids.  We are thankful for them, since they reduce the swelling and ward off the horrid symptoms.

Sherry took her pill and asked for an English muffin with peanut butter.  I took the muffin out of the toaster, the peanut butter out of the refrigerator, and then spread it carefully to the edges.  The hot muffin released the rich, earthy fragrance of the peanuts.  Sherry ate it sitting up in bed then lay back down.  I crawled back into be to be with her and we were both soon asleep.

Waking revealed for me the delicious awareness that I couldn't tell where I began and Sherry ended.  I gradually became more aware of the body boundaries.  I thought of lines from a Theodore Roethke poem, "I sleep to wake, and take my waking slow."

I used to think that getting married was something you did rather than something you became.  Ours certainly becomes me.

1 comment:

  1. A-ho
    I will hold my marriage in softer, more careful arms now. My love to you both.

    Margie Kimberley

    ReplyDelete

Followers