Search This Blog

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Treatment

Sherry begins chemotherapy on Tuesday, October 13th and radiation on Thursday, October 15th.  There is much we don't know about this.  We do know that her immune system will be compromised, but don't know how this will impact our ability to entertain visitors.  Mostly, we don't know how the treatment will treat the tumors and how Sherry's body will respond.  It appears that she will have six weeks of radiation, five days a week here at the Cancer Center at KMC.  Chemo will be intersperse.  How that will happen will soon be revealed. 

We do know that Jes will return on October 13th along with my sister, Marla, and Steve Morrow.  That is much to celebrate. 

I am grateful that I am retired.  I have tried to imagine trying to respond to the immediacy and intensity of this situation while being pulled by work responsibilities.  Now I can do exactly as I want to do, and honored by what I get to do.  I hope for the strength, courage, and patience to do it well.  Again the Beatles resonate:  "I get by with a little help from my friends..."  I will do much better than just get by.  I will soar with the abundance of help I am receiving. 

3 comments:

  1. My heart is full of tears for what you and Sherry are going through. Both for the fear but also for the love and hope. Your words of gratitude for each day are a reminder to me of what really matters. The Lord is faithful and you and Sherry remind me of that. You are both in my prayers and my thoughts. -- Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug,
    You have so conveyed your feelings by words. I could not sleep last nite after reading about Sherry. I think of the bench in your backyard facing all the flowers and plants you two have nurtered over the years. My thoughts to you cousin is to spend a lot of time on that bench with Sherry. I travelled by van today. As I drove, I had the radio on. Song after song had meaning to your sitaution. We are here today, all of us. To have a life partner is a treasure. To have to face losing her, I cannot imagine. You two are in my thoughts.

    Cousin Loren Fagerness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug, You are a rock, stay strong brother.
    Billy

    ReplyDelete

Followers