Search This Blog

Thursday, December 24, 2009

All Through the Night

Sherry sleeps. Her breathing regular, her body warm, smooth and electric to my touch. She is cradled in loving kindness near and far. Her communication is subtle, non verbal--the raise of an eyebrow or the welling of a slight tear in the corner of her eyes as she is moved. My tears mixed with hers as I read to her cards and letters I had retrieved from the mailbox. She is comfortable and peaceful, preparing to leave this world,  spending more and more time in the threshold to the next. I regret that she cannot tell me more.


I am cradled, too. I am held up by dearly beloved through the strands of Silent Night sung outside our door, through the accappella harmonies of the St John Orthodox choir, through the strings of ethereal harp that connect with my heart and tie our hearts together.


I wait without trepidation. I reject the caricature of faceless death, cloaked in black, and heaving an ominous scythe. Rather, I see light, beckoning bright, inviting and white, returning to vanquish the long dark night. Now is sacred time.

5 comments:

  1. You don't know me, but please feel cradled also by the prayers of someone who cares.
    Merri

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Light in each of us honors the Light in both of you.

    Namaste'.

    Love, Steve & Margie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Sherry,Doug, and Jes,
    I conteplate the riches that Sherry is seeing from the threshold of heaven and am wishing she could tell us of the glory she sees. As we behold Jesus, the Gift of Christmas ...Light to us...Salvation and Eternal Life in the Light I continue to pray for you all with love, Patty E

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace to you. I don't have any words left to express what I feel and hope and wish. With all my heart, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the day when
    the weight deadens
    on your shoulders
    and you stumble,
    may the clay dance
    to balance you.
    And when your eyes
    freeze behind
    the grey window
    and the ghost of loss
    gets in to you,
    may a flock of colours,
    indigo, red, green,
    and azure blue
    come to awaken in you
    a meadow of delight.

    When the canvas frays
    in the currach of thought
    and a stain of ocean
    blackens beneath you,
    may there come across the waters
    a path of yellow moonlight
    to bring you safely home.

    May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
    may the clarity of light be yours,
    may the fluency of the ocean be yours,
    may the protection of the ancestors be yours.
    And so may a slow
    wind work these words
    of love around you,
    an invisible cloak
    to mind your life.





    Written by: John O'Donohue
    http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/O/ODonohueJohn/BeannachtBle.htm

    Thoughts and Prayers go out to you.
    Sincerely,
    Stacey Bell

    ReplyDelete

Followers