Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Path We Are On...

The last four times Sherry has been awake have been stolen by pain. I think it is primarily abdominal pain caused by gas and the slowing down of intestinal activity, though Sherry agonizes over her shoulder, her chest, her abdomen, her chest. It could also be blood clots, a cardiac event, the tumors sending erratic signals, or who knows what else. With Hospice help we have been able to increase Sherry's comfort. The price is that when Sherry is medicated she sleeps. Her forehead is smooth, indicating the absence of pain, and her head is tilted back, her mouth is open. The figures in Picasso's Guernica, mouths open in terror, invade my mind's eye. While Sherry is comfortable, I feel the horror. The root of it is my helplessness. I can tend to her desperate desire for water when she awakens to a parched mouth. I can feed small bites of applesauce and spoon tips of her favorite yoghurt into her willing mouth. When doing this I can also see that her ability to swallow is diminished. She holds water and the small bits of soft, smooth food in her mouth working up to a swallow. A substantial part of the trouble with this is that her ability to take medication is compromised. So, her medications are prioritized. The steroids to control the edema surrounding the tumors are first. Then the seizure medication and so on. Even with these priorities I wasn't able to complete her medication schedule yesterday. Sherry was determined to take the pills, and she did all that she could. To push beyond that would have risked choking. The pain and the sleep rob communication, mugging the opportunities for quiet, intimate connection. I hope for a balance where the pain is controlled, the cause eliminated, and connection elevated beyond reactive custodial response.

The path appears to be narrowing to pain and anxiety relieving medications that are liquids, more easily administered. It is a path through forest floor cushioned by deep resilient duff. It climbs above the timberline to vast meadows where the wind is easily felt but hardly seen. As it approaches the ridgeline leading to the peaks it becomes faint, obscured by wispy clouds as it scrambles to the top.

Jes told me yesterday, his arms wrapped around me, that this was his best Christmas ever. I re-live the grief as I write, and recall with gratitude his strong, supportive arms. I understand what he was saying. I agree. It is a Christmas, as is every Christmas, about unfathomable, inexhaustible, renewable, durable love...






9 comments:

  1. I am thinking of you, as it seems that I am standing beside you and Sherry. Know that Erik and I send our best to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Doug, Jes, and Sherry,
    I feel such privilege to read of each day's journey as your write and never cease to feel your presence as I go about daily routines and preparations for celebrating the lavish gift of God at Christmas. I will continue to pray, as Sherry and I spoke at the beginning of this journey for God's provision of grace to accomplish this journey well. I am reminded of Mother Theresa's quote as I am touched by your loving care, Doug: "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love." Warmly ~Patty E~

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart and prayers are with you as you walk this path. Metta to you all... Patty B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "God is love, and whoever remains in love remains in God and God in him." (1John 4:16)...You and Sherry have an abundance of love and have given so much love to so many people. God is with you at this time and you are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug, Your blog is a beautiful tribute to your love for Sherry and your deep connection with this extraordinary experience. I am so glad you are connected with our Hospice of North Idaho. There is much we can do to guide you both through this mysteriously difficult journey. You were the first person in North ID to hire me in the PAT program in 2000. As you know, I left MSEHS to come to work for Hospice of North ID in 2004. I am now a RN/BV Counselor here so know that we will be there for you for however long you need us.
    I will be holding you and your family in my thoughts as your journey continues. Pam Parsons

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are with you and grateful for your ability to share this intimate and arduous journey. More love,
    Karen and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please know my love, thoughts and prayers are there with you and Sherry. The miles between us seem so much greater when Charlie and I want so much to put our arms around you and be of some use. Even a pot of chicken soup would seem more useful than words over the internet. Just the same, I love you both and want you to know I am holding you in my heart. Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. The love you and Sherry have for each other is profound and a gift for all of us to share. My heart aches. Know you are loved deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in awe of the power of love despite the profound sadness you are feeling your writing reveals that every moment with Sherry is a gift. My heart goes out to you and your family and my prayers are full of thankfulness for the grace given to you and hope for the gift of each new day. -- Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Followers