Search This Blog

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Discharge

Our oncologist told us last night that Sherry would be discharged today.  That was the first time I heard the discharge word spoken though I knew that it was likely to be coming soon.  Having her home is precisely what both of us want.  I also feel anxious about it knowing how much care Sherry now requires.  For example, she needs to have her position in bed changed every two hours.  Here at KMC at least two people work together to do that.  I paniced when our onologist suggested that the discharge could be last night or today.  I jumped on today.  It was after 5:00pm. According to the mobility criteria at KMC, Sherry must be transported on a stretcher, so medical transport must be arranged.  Home health care was not set up, nor was any additional care arranged for the care needed beyond what home health could provide.  The oncology social worker was gone for the day.  Yikes! 

Sherry woke up hungry at 3:00am.  I was again ready with the Brown Cow Cream Top yoghurt and the PG Tips tea.  She again ate the yoghurt without assistance, and sipped her tea independently after I handed it to her.  She did ask for another pillow behind her head so she could hold her head up.  She has not been out of bed since she was admitted last Friday.

I have been watching the clock waiting for the time when I can get started on getting things in place.  A discharge/transition meeting will have to be the starting point.  I don't see that happening before 8:00 am. 

Home is pretty close to being ready for Sherry.  I think that area in the living room where her hospital bed is set up is inviting and cozy.  The trick now will be to get her there safely and comfortably with all of the provisions for her care in place.  It's shaping up to be a busy day.

3 comments:

  1. Sherry and Doug...Praises for Sherry's homecoming. I am praying for a smooth and comfortable transport this morning. God's mercies are new every morning...
    Thankfully-Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 4:10 PM. I'm hoping Sherry is home dozing comfortably in her bed and that you are finding some sense of peace. As always, good ju-ju your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you find the help you need, but so glad to hear that Sherry is home and you are home, and strength is better. We are cheering - just arrived in McCall and thinking of you!
    Karen and Mark

    ReplyDelete

Followers