Search This Blog

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Arrangements

I completed arrangements at the funeral home today and went out to the cemetery to pick out Sherry's gravesite.  The east wind was brutal and I was inadequately dressed to keep the cold from pentrating.  The wind did serve as a distraction from the somber task of choosing where my beloved will be buried. 


There will be a vigil at St. John the Baptist Antiochian Orthodox Church, 4718 Horsehaven Avenue, in Post Falls beginning at 7:00pm on Tuesday, December 29th, the fifth day of Christmas. Sherry's body will be lying within the nave of the Church temple.  After the Panikida (memorial) is sung Sherry's body will remain for the viewing.  Psalms will be read throughout the nightlong vigil. 

The funeral service will begin at 9:30am on Wednesday, December 30th, and will be followed by a burial service at the Church cemetery.  After participants have had the opportunity to throw a handful of dirt on the lowered casket there will be a Memorial Luncheon to which all who have attended the funeral are invited. 

If you are inclined, instead of flowers whose blooms are beautiful, but short lived, please support the Children's Library in either Post Falls (821 N. Spokane Street, Post Falls, ID  83854-8698), or Coeur d'Alene (702 E. Front Avenue, Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814).  There the wonders of learning will bloom in children's minds to delight them for a lifetime.  Donations made in Sherry's name will support this work, and are congruent with Sherry's profession and passion.   

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Doug, This came to my mind as I think of you at this point in your journey:

    I AM NOT HERE
    Don't stand by my grave and weep,
    For I am not there, I do not sleep.
    I am a thousand winds that blow.
    I am the diamond glint of snow.
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
    I am the gentle autumn's rain.
    When you awaken in the morning, hush.
    For I am the swift uplifting rush
    Of quiet birds in circle flight.
    I am the soft stars that shine at night.
    Do not stand by my grave and cry.
    I am not there, I did not die. - Hopi Grief Song/Prayer

    My only revision would be, go ahead and cry, and cry, and cry. It is the deepness of your love being sent forth. Thoughts and prayers from afar continue to be sent your way.

    Toni Williams

    ReplyDelete

Followers