Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Catching Up

The new hospital gowns I ordered arrived with a ring of the doorbell .   I opened the front door as the UPS driver scurried back to his truck.  I promptly removed the three crisp cotton gowns and the terry cloth bib from the packaging and put them in the wash so they would be ready for Sherry when she woke up. 

She had been asleep since 7:15am after a long night awake with abdominal pain that proved difficult to get on top of.  I roused her to grogginess at 1:30pm so she could take her morning medication that I had waited all morning to give her,  After taking the meds she fell right back to sleep, her mouth open to take in and push out deep, regular breaths. 

At 7:00pm I wanted to wake her for fluids, food, and timely medications.  She had drunk only about 7 ounces of water all day, and had eaten only the bit of applesauce I had used for her to take her pills.  I knew her mouth would be dry and I hoped that she would be hungry.  I turned on more lights to softly brighten the room, then put on Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze so Yo Yo Mah's cello could sooth the room while taking note of Bach's gentle vision.  Still she slept.  I pushed the head up arrow on the controls for her hospital bed which brought her to a near sitting position, I washed her face and hands with a warm, damp washcloth.  Her steady breathing continuted, marking her deep sleep. 

I decided to call the Hospice nurse.  She assured me that Sherry was likely only catching up from the night before, but that she would come visit.  I thanked her, then went back to Sherry.  She had begun to slightly awaken.  I had water, carrot juice, and a bottle of Biotene spray ready on the hospital table to aussage Sherry's dry mouth in whatever direction she chose. 

"Sherry.  Do you want some water?" She parted her lips in non-verbal affirmative.  I opened the tab on the water bottle and brought the spigot to her mouth. We repeated this until she had sipped about an ounce of water.  We moved on to carrot juice.  Drinking from the glass in her groggy state proved to be more of a challenge, but she managed a few sips of the sweet, earthy liquid.  I called the Hospice nurse back before moving on to applesauce.  I told her I didn't think she needed to come.  She agreed, but encouraged me to call should I become concerned.  I turned back to the applesauce.  After she had eaten a few bites of applesauce I asked Sherry if she wanted to take her pills with it.  She nodded.  So I floated pills on subsequent bites, announcing their name each time I brought them to her open mouth.  She had a few more pill free bites before she stopped opening her mouth for more. 

Jes had prepared an attractive plate for Sherry that featured quinoa, fresh green beans, and small pieces of braised pork loin.  But Sherry did not want any more food and pushed her head back into the pillow.  She did nod when I asked if she wanted a new, freshly laundered gown.  So, I put that on her, smoothed the wrinkles, pulled the sheet back up, and reclined the hospital bed until she nodded enough.  Her steady mouth breathing soon resumed.

I read for awhile in the recliner next to her bed, then tilted it back to give in to sleep.  When I woke at 1:00 the cadence of her breath continued as it has been doing since I again awoke at 4:00.  Undoubtedly her mouth will be dry when she wakes up.  I hope she will be caught up after this long, comfortable sleep. I will be ready with the water.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers